Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Nutcracker Suite From The Pit

The Richmond Ballet's Nutcracker is opening this Friday and the Richmond Symphony provides live orchestral music for the production.  For any symphony musician, it seems playing the Nutcracker Suite is par for the course.  Here is one perspective about playing the Nutcracker Suite every year during the holiday season from clarinetist Jared Davis:

Playing The Nutcracker every year is bittersweet because it is very rewarding, yet challenging to play at the same time.  Tchaikovsky was a master orchestrator, meaning he knew how to use the instruments of the orchestra in various combinations to achieve a sound that is rich, colorful, and unmistakable.  Another way to explain it, is that it just feels good to play.  Also, he could write a melody that sticks in one's mind forever.  Everyone I know can whistle or sing a tune from The Nutcracker!  It is rewarding, yet challenging in the sense that there are moments in the music that are very demanding of the musicians.  No matter how times I've played it, I always have to practice certain parts leading up to the performances.

As rewarding as it is to play, the phrase "too much of a good thing" applies here just a bit, as we perform the piece at least 12 times every December.  During my tenure in the RSO, I've performed it about 72-80 times!  Every year after about the 5th show, I find myself looking for ways to make the next seven shows more exciting.  I suppose it would help if I could actually see what happens on stage.  My position in the orchestra pit is underneath the lip of the stage where seeing any part of the production is impossible.  I've yet to see the actual production in all my time here in Richmond!  But, I hear it is fabulous!

All in all, it is a wonderful experience.  The music is satisfying, the dancers and ballet staff are very easy to work with, and there is great support from the Richmond community.  Large audiences fill the Carpenter Theater year after year.  This collaboration with the Ballet is great exposure for the Symphony, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to the Ballet for making the use of live orchestra a priority in its annual Nutcracker! We love our Richmond Ballet!

    ReplyDelete