Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tai Murray, Violinist
Looking for something fun and exciting to do on the weekend of April 30? Acclaimed as "superb" by The New York Times, (twenty-eight year old) violinist Tai Murray will be performing with the Richmond Symphony on Saturday, April 30 and Sunday, May 1.

Murray is a rising young star within the world of classical music, and only in her early 20s, she has already been rising for over a decade. Known for her beautiful, mature phrasing and graceful bow work, Murray has received critical acclaim from coast to coast. She has also drawn attention as one of the few African-American musicians involved in classical music.

Murray first asked to play the violin when she was just two years old. Finally, just before her fifth birthday, Murray received her first violin. She began to take lessons at the Sherwood Conservatory of Music in Chicago "because I wanted to," she told the Salt Lake Tribune. "I started asking at a younger age, but my mother thought I should wait until I was older. I've always been drawn to music."

Despite her intense practice and performance schedule, Murray finds time to enjoy life. She loves dance, both as an observer and a participant, including tango, salsa, ballet, swing, and modern. She also likes to read, knit, and spend time with her friends. In an interview with the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center, she described a typical day: "I like to get in two or three hours of practicing as soon as I get out of bed.… Late afternoon I might take a walk or read a book. I'm a bit of a night owl so after dinner…I like to practice into the wee hours of the morning." Her advice to young musicians: "Practice makes perfect, and quality over quantity."

Check out Tai Murray's Barber Concerto Presto:

Find more Tai Murray songs at Myspace Music

For ticket information, please call our Patron Services Hot line at 804.788.1212

No comments:

Post a Comment